Monday 28 May 2012

Mac Retro Matte Lipstick Review & Swatches: Ruby Woo

Ever been compelled by a friend to try on a dress which you're quite reluctant about, but did so anyway because she seemed so adamant that this dress was perfect for you?! So you half-heartedly drag yourself to the changing rooms in the store, and moments later you're staring at yourself in the mirror, grinning (and possibly pouting) and thinking 'Whoa..! I am looking da-bomb!!' (OK perhaps nobody uses this word anymore, unless you're stuck in the 90's, but you get my drift...anyway...)

Or have you ever met someone new, probably whilst at uni, or even at work, and felt you could never bond with this person, then a week later you've become best friends for life, exchanging makeup tips, going shoe shopping and perchance indulging at a spa salon together?!

Well, I was in a similar situation recently. Say hello to my new, sexy and sultry best friend- Ruby Woo.




Although I have an endless amount of red lipsticks, I rarely go for the red lip look, as I prefer to focus on and enhance my eyes, and thus opting for a nude lip on most occasions. However, I am constantly on the hunt for the perfect red lipstick! As blasphemous as it may sound, until Ruby Woo I had never tried nor owned a Mac lipstick (shoot me now). In fact, the only Mac product I had every purchased is their eye kohl in Smoulder. So, when I went into the Mac store to search for a lipstick, I was like a kid in a candy store! So many colours and textures to choose from! As I tried and tested different lipsticks, my eyes fell upon two similar red shades- Russian Red and Ruby Woo. 

I was a little apprehensive as they were both bright reds and thought they wouldn't look too good against my skin tone. As I swatched both lipstick on the back of my hand, I found Russian Red to be too orangey for my liking. However, Ruby Woo was just perfect!! Without further hesitation, I purchased my first Mac lipstick.

 




What I love about this lipstick is that due to its matte texture, it has amazing staying power! It literally lasts on my lips the whole day, requiring only one touch up if I am eating or drinking too much (plus a longer workout at the gym). It also makes my lips appear fuller and more pouty, which is a plus point for me as I have small lips. Although matte textures, especially Ruby Woo, can be rather drying on the lips, applying a little balm on the lips prior to applying the lipstick eradicates this problem. I also apply a nude lip liner around the lips before applying the lipstick, to prevent the red from bleeding.

You have to be careful when wearing red lipstick, as the red stands out and so you have to keep the rest  of your makeup toned down, unless of course you want to look like a drag queen! Although I love bold, smokey eyes, I would not pair it with red lips- you either focus on one or the other. I found that I could wear this lipstick alone, without applying any other makeup, and it looked good simply on its own. 

This is definitely my HG red lipstick. It is bold and brilliant, and it makes me feel fabulous and glam! It is most definitely a head-turner! Ruby Woo is a pure, classic red and would look good against any skin tone, from pale to darker complexions. I recommend this shade to anybody who is searching for the perfect red shade, and to anybody who shies away from bright colours- you will not regret buying this! Priced at £13.50, I think this product is worth its value. I would definitely repurchase this lipstick.


RATING: 10/10




6 comments:

  1. Love this post, you're so funny. Going to follow your blog. I've wanted to try out this lipstick for a while and might have to give it a go when i'm next in MAC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Definitely do try it...will look fab!! x

      Delete
  2. I have very few red lippies but this is my fave and my first MAC red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa that is one persuasive review :P I am sold. Seriously. I already had my eyes on Ruby Woo and your story added to the temptation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get it! It will look great on you! And do let me know how you find it!

      Delete